Meet Brenda and Andy Dutcher of Briar Rose Farms near Humboldt, NE.
What Briar Rose Farms offers:
- Grass-Fed Beef
- Outdoor Raised Pork
- Meat Chickens
- Farm FRESH Eggs
- On-Farm Dairy – milk, cream, cheese
- Veggies and Fruits
- Baked Goods: whole grain breads, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, pies, & more!
“Raising livestock this way is healthier for the animals and healthier for the people.”
For many people today, things such as animal welfare and regenerative farming practices are a big concern when deciding where to purchase food. Briar Rose Farms, located in southeast Nebraska near Humboldt, run by Brenda and Andy Dutcher, has made it a priority to implement farming practices that are beneficial not only for the consumer, but for the livestock as well. The couple started out by renting the farm from Brenda’s parents in 1988 to raise dairy cows before purchasing the farm in 1994. Since then, they have incorporated other products such as poultry, pork and beef.
Brenda has been a member of the United States National Guard since 2009, and it was while she was on deployment in Djibouti, Africa in May of 2021 that her journey with regenerative farming practices began. After reading Gabe Brown’s book Dirt to Soil, she wrote a business plan and employed it when returning to Nebraska. Some of these practices include cover crops, integrated pest management and rotational grazing.
An easy way to support Briar Rose Farms is to visit their booth at the Farmers Market in Lincoln’s Haymarket. One of Brenda’s favorite aspects of her job includes being able to connect and share with customers what exactly goes into raising and harvesting her products, as well as answering any questions they may have. She believes that direct communication with people is the best way to educate them on regenerative farming practices.
If you are interested in learning more about the people involved in Briar Rose Farms, check out this article by the Midwest Messenger!
Where to find Briar Rose Farms:
- Visit their website: https://www.briarrosefarms.com/
- Shop their online store: https://app.barn2door.com/briarrosefarms/all
- You can also find their products at the Farmer’s Market in Lincoln’s Haymarket and the Sunday Farmers Market in Lincoln
- Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100084935392012
- Contact info: http://buylocalnebraska.org/online-food-guide/briar-rose-farms
This article was written in collaboration with Buy Fresh Buy Local staff and UNL Student Catie Hytrek.