Spaghetti Squash with Greek Meat Sauce
Author: Chad Winters, Owner, Leon's Gourmet Grocer
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 3lbs)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 T unsalted butter (or none!)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (red and yellow) halved
- 1/2 C fresh Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese shavings
- 2 T chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash, cut side down, on the prepared pan. Bake until the flesh can be easily scraped into strands with a fork, 50-70 minutes.
- Using a fork, scoop out all the flesh into a bowl, and fluff the spaghetti like strands. Toss in the salt and pepper.
Greek Meat Sauce
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1.5 lbs Leon’s ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 9 oz tomato paste
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp whole mixed pickling spice (this is the secret ingredient!)
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef and onions. Add the water, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Tie the pickling spice and cinnamon in a small piece of cheesecloth, and add to the stew.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding additional water if necessary. Discard the cheesecloth.
Learn more about Leon's Gourmet Grocer